Ireland aims to pass law lifting Dublin Airport cap by summer
The Irish government plans to enact a law by mid-July to lift a cap on passenger numbers at Dublin Airport, which has come under fire from U.S. airlines, the country's transport minister said on Friday. The government is racing to lift the 32 million passenger-per-year cap, which is currently suspended pending a European Court ruling.
The Irish government plans to enact a law by mid-July to lift a cap on passenger numbers at Dublin Airport, which has come under fire from U.S. airlines, the country's transport minister said on Friday.
The government is racing to lift the 32 million passenger-per-year cap, which is currently suspended pending a European Court ruling. The airport overshot the limit by 4 million passengers last year. "It's my intention, if we can at all, with a fair wind, to get the legislation passed through the Dail (lower house of parliament) and Seanad (upper house) by the summer recess, which is the middle of July," Ireland's transport, energy and climate minister Darragh O'Brien told Reuters in an interview.
"If it's not that, it will be early September," he added. The number of passengers at Ireland's main airport was capped at 32 million by planners in 2007, in part to avoid local road congestion.
Some local residents support capping passenger numbers at the airport, which carries around 80% of the country's air traffic. Environment groups have warned its removal would weaken oversight of a high-emission sector. But the measure has been by Irish airline bosses, who warn it would damage the country's economy and harm plans to make Dublin an international aviation hub to rival London's Heathrow.
"Dublin Airport is of strategic national importance for our country, and the cap needs to be removed," O'Brien said. U.S. airlines have also opposed the cap, prompting local carriers to warn that the U.S. government could retaliate and restrict transatlantic flights from Dublin if the cap is not quickly scrapped.
Industry group Airlines for America filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation in January, accusing Ireland of breaching an EU-U.S. agreement granting airlines the right to operate in each jurisdiction and asking it to curtail Irish carriers' access to the U.S. if the cap is not scrapped. O'Brien said the U.S. government was satisfied with the timeline he had laid out.
European airlines have warned they could face jet fuel shortages as a result of supply disruptions triggered by the . Ireland is not facing imminent supply shortages, and the government's analysis foresees no fuel supply shortages for the rest of this year, O'Brien said.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

