Drive to remove illegal structures at Garib Nagar complete, fencing work underway: Western Rly
Western Railway completed a five-day demolition drive at Garib Nagar near Bandra station, retaining ground floors of 100 structures as per court orders.
- Country:
- India
Western Railway on Saturday said the drive undertaken to raze unauthorised structures at Garib Nagar near Bandra station was completed on the fifth day as planned.
WR Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said the upper floors of some of the 100-odd structures, the ground floors of which the Bombay High Court had asked the railways to retain, were demolished on the fifth and last day of the demolition drive.
''The Bombay High Court had directed the authorities not to demolish 100 structures completely. Accordingly, the ground floors of those structures have been retained, while the upper floors have been demolished,'' he said.
Debris removal work is being carried out simultaneously, and fencing and barricading work has also been undertaken in the area cleared during the five-day demolition drive, the CPRO said.
By Friday, the railway authorities had demolished nearly all of the approximately 500 unauthorised structures, except for the upper floors of some of the 100 structures during the drive which began on May 19.
He said around 1,200 personnel, including security staff, were deployed since the first day of the demolition drive.
The drive was peaceful, except on Wednesday, when there were incidents of stone-pelting triggered by the demolition of a place of worship, leaving 10 persons, including policemen, injured.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
ALSO READ
Police halt demolition drive in Jammu briefly to retrieve national flag
Flash floods triggered by downpour wreak havoc in Arunachal's Upper Subansiri
Bandra demolition drive violence: 16 held so far; cops acted only after coming under attack, says CM
Parle Industries stock hits upper circuit for second day on 'Melody' frenzy
Bandra demolition drive: Stone-pelters arrested after attack on police, says Fadnavis

