US Military Drawdown Sparks Concerns Over Missile Deployment Plans in Germany
The German Defence Ministry clarifies that the U.S. has not definitively canceled plans, devised under former President Joe Biden, to deploy a battalion with long-range Tomahawk missiles to Germany. This follows the U.S. decision to reduce its military presence in Germany by 5,000 soldiers, amid growing tensions over Iran and tariffs.
- Country:
- Germany
The German defence ministry clarified on Monday that the United States has not definitively canceled plans to deploy long-range Tomahawk missiles to Germany. This statement follows an announcement by Washington to reduce its military presence in the country by 5,000 soldiers, raising concerns about the planned deployment.
The ministry spokesperson emphasized that the weapon deployment is still intended for Germany, and Europe is already planning to procure alternative weapons systems in case of a gap. This comes as a Pentagon drawdown announcement has added pressure on U.S.-Europe relations amid disagreements over Iran and trade tariffs.
The reduction at Germany, the U.S.'s largest European base, was previously seen as a strategy for deterrence against Russia. The transition raises questions about Europe's approach to developing long-range missile capabilities independently.
(With inputs from agencies.)
ALSO READ
Germany's Merz pitches 'associate' EU membership for Ukraine
UPDATE 3-Germany to match France with 40% KNDS stake in Frankfurt IPO
UPDATE 2-American Ebola patient evacuated from DRC to Germany is in stable condition, CDC says
UPDATE 2-Germany, France to hold equal stakes in tank maker KNDS, German official says
UPDATE 1-Germany will acquire 40% stake in tank maker KNDS at listing, German official says

