Gauteng Gambling Board CEO Fired and CFO Suspended After Forensic Uncovers

According to Ramokgopa, the investigation implicated Dr Karabo Mbele in multiple alleged violations of governance procedures and oversight responsibilities.


Devdiscourse News Desk | Pretoria | Updated: 18-05-2026 21:29 IST | Created: 18-05-2026 21:29 IST
Gauteng Gambling Board CEO Fired and CFO Suspended After Forensic Uncovers
“As a result, I have terminated the contract of employment of the CEO, Dr Karabo Mbele, with immediate effect,” the MEC announced. Image Credit: Pexels
  • Country:
  • South Africa

Gauteng MEC for Economic Development, Agriculture and Rural Development Vuyiswa Ramokgopa has taken decisive action against senior leadership at the Gauteng Gambling Board following the release of a forensic investigation report detailing alleged governance failures, procurement irregularities, financial misconduct, and abuse of public resources within the entity.

The announcement was made during a media briefing in Johannesburg on Monday, where Ramokgopa confirmed the immediate dismissal of Gauteng Gambling Board Chief Executive Officer Dr Karabo Mbele and the suspension of Chief Financial Officer Oscar Maripane pending disciplinary proceedings.

The forensic report, compiled by an independent legal team led by Advocate William Mokhare SC, uncovered what the MEC described as extensive governance breakdowns and serious misconduct within the provincial entity.

CEO Dismissed Over Alleged Gross Misconduct

According to Ramokgopa, the investigation implicated Dr Karabo Mbele in multiple alleged violations of governance procedures and oversight responsibilities.

The report accused the CEO of interfering in funding adjudication processes, approving funding allocations before governance procedures had been completed, authorising payments without proper supporting documentation, and failing to comply with critical governance and accountability obligations.

Ramokgopa described the findings as evidence of “serious governance failures and gross misconduct.”

“As a result, I have terminated the contract of employment of the CEO, Dr Karabo Mbele, with immediate effect,” the MEC announced.

She said the seriousness of the findings left the provincial government with no alternative but to remove the CEO in order to protect the integrity of the institution.

CFO Suspended Pending Disciplinary Process

The report also made serious findings against Chief Financial Officer Oscar Maripane.

According to Ramokgopa, the investigation identified alleged failures in financial governance, procurement irregularities, non-compliance with the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), and major weaknesses in internal financial controls and statutory reporting obligations.

The MEC confirmed that Maripane has been suspended while internal disciplinary proceedings are conducted.

Officials say the disciplinary process will determine whether further administrative or legal action may be required.

Whistleblower Complaints Triggered Investigation

Ramokgopa revealed that the Gauteng Gambling Board became the focus of numerous whistleblower complaints shortly after she assumed office on 1 April 2026.

She said several whistleblowers approached the department anonymously to report alleged corruption, maladministration, abuse of authority, and institutional misconduct within the gambling board.

According to the MEC, many of the concerns raised by whistleblowers were later substantiated by the findings of the forensic investigation.

“The findings of the forensic investigation corroborated many of the allegations raised by whistleblowers,” she said.

Ramokgopa thanked individuals who came forward despite fears of retaliation, saying their willingness to expose alleged wrongdoing played an important role in uncovering governance failures.

Gauteng Gambling Board Facing Governance Crisis

The MEC acknowledged that the Gauteng Gambling Board is currently experiencing a broader governance crisis.

She noted that the entity presently has no constituted governing board following the resignation of several board members in December 2025.

“It has become clear to me that the status quo at the Gauteng Gambling Board cannot continue,” Ramokgopa stated.

To stabilise the institution, the provincial government plans to appoint an administrator while the process of establishing a new governing board takes place.

The intervention forms part of wider efforts to rebuild institutional stability, strengthen governance systems, and restore public confidence in provincial entities.

Provincial Government Pursuing Broader Economic Reform

Ramokgopa linked the intervention at the gambling board to Gauteng’s broader programme of economic and institutional reform.

She said improving governance, fighting corruption, and strengthening accountability across public institutions are central to the province’s long-term economic growth strategy.

The MEC highlighted commitments made during the second Gauteng Investment Conference, where the province secured more than R205 billion in investment pledges aimed at stimulating economic development and attracting private sector investment.

According to Ramokgopa, Gauteng aims to:

  • Achieve 3% GDP growth by 2030

  • Create 300 sustainable jobs

  • Strengthen governance across public institutions

  • Improve provincial revenue generation

She stressed that strong institutions and transparent governance are essential to creating an environment that supports investment and economic growth.

Liquor Licence Fees Increased After Seven Years

During the briefing, Ramokgopa also announced that the Gauteng Liquor Amendment Regulations had been approved by the provincial legislature.

The regulations include a 7% increase in annual liquor licence fees, marking the first adjustment in seven years.

The provincial government says the increase forms part of broader efforts to improve revenue collection and strengthen regulatory sustainability within the liquor and gambling sectors.

Government Warns Against Corruption and Abuse of Public Funds

Ramokgopa issued a firm warning against corruption, maladministration, and abuse of public resources within provincial institutions.

“Corruption, maladministration and the abuse of public resources will not be tolerated under this administration, and no individual will be above reproach,” she said.

The MEC emphasised that accountability measures would continue to be strengthened across government entities and that officials found guilty of misconduct would face consequences.

Investigation Reviewed More Than 80,000 Pages of Evidence

Ramokgopa also acknowledged the role played by former MEC Lebogang Maile, who initiated the forensic investigation before leaving office.

She thanked Advocate William Mokhare SC and his legal team for conducting what she described as a detailed and comprehensive inquiry.

According to the MEC, investigators reviewed more than 80,000 pages of evidence during the 12-month investigation process.

The findings are expected to form the basis for further disciplinary, administrative, and potentially legal action depending on the outcomes of ongoing reviews.

Pressure Mounts for Accountability in Provincial Entities

The developments at the Gauteng Gambling Board come amid increasing national concern over governance failures, procurement irregularities, and financial mismanagement within South African public institutions.

Analysts say the case highlights ongoing challenges facing provincial entities regarding oversight, transparency, and compliance with financial management laws.

The appointment of a new governing board and the outcome of disciplinary processes are expected to play a major role in determining whether the Gauteng Gambling Board can restore institutional credibility and public trust.

 

Give Feedback