UPDATE 2-Last two bodies of Italian divers killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives says

The last two bodies of ‌the Italian divers killed in the Maldives' deadliest-ever diving accident have been recovered, a government spokesperson said on Wednesday, completing recovery efforts.


Reuters | Updated: 20-05-2026 14:22 IST | Created: 20-05-2026 14:22 IST
UPDATE 2-Last two bodies of Italian divers killed in scuba diving accident recovered, Maldives says

The last two bodies of ‌the Italian divers killed in the Maldives' deadliest-ever diving accident have been recovered, a government spokesperson said on Wednesday, completing recovery efforts. The divers were among a group of five who ‌entered a deepwater cave for exploration last week, after being granted the necessary permit to ‌research soft corals in the Devana Kandu site. Maldivian authorities are investigating multiple possible causes behind their deaths, including whether the group descended far deeper than expected. "A preliminary identification has confirmed the identities of the Italians ⁠and work ​will go on ⁠to confirm via DNA through Interpol and other partners," spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told Reuters.

"In the meantime, all ⁠the bodies will be repatriated to Italy," he said, adding that Maldives would continue investigations to "find ​the facts of what happened". The group was led by Monica Montefalcone, 51, ⁠a University of Genoa professor and marine ecologist who was a regular diver in Maldivian waters in the Indian ⁠Ocean, ​and also included her daughter.

The body of the group's instructor was recovered on Friday, and the remains of two other divers were retrieved on Tuesday after a ⁠specialist team from Finland was roped in to help with efforts. A Maldives National Defence Force ⁠diver taking part ⁠in the search also died from decompression illness as divers tried to locate the bodies on Saturday.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback