US hits nine Hezbollah-aligned individuals in Lebanon with sanctions

Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control said the officials were embedded across Lebanon’s parliament, military, and security ‌sectors, where they worked to preserve Hezbollah's influence over key Lebanese state institutions. “Hezbollah is a terrorist organization and must be fully disarmed,” U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.


Reuters | Updated: 22-05-2026 02:18 IST | Created: 22-05-2026 02:18 IST
US hits nine Hezbollah-aligned individuals in Lebanon with sanctions

The United States ​on Thursday announced sanctions against nine individuals, including Iran's designated ‌ambassador ​to Lebanon, for obstructing the peace process in the Middle Eastern country and impeding the disarmament of the Iran-backed Hezbollah group. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control said the officials were embedded across Lebanon's parliament, military, and security ‌sectors, where they worked to preserve Hezbollah's influence over key Lebanese state institutions.

"Hezbollah is a terrorist organization and must be fully disarmed," U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement. Hezbollah, founded in 1982 by Iran's Revolutionary Guards, has been designated a "terrorist group" by the U.S. and Gulf Arab states, including Saudi Arabia. The ‌U.S. holds the group responsible for suicide bombings in 1983 that killed 241 U.S. service personnel and destroyed the U.S. Marine headquarters in Beirut, ‌along with a French barracks, killing 58 French paratroopers. It blames Hezbollah for a suicide attack on the U.S. Embassy in Beirut in 1983.

U.S. TARGETS HEZBOLLAH'S FINANCES Israel and Lebanon last week agreed to a 45-day extension of a ceasefire that has tamped down a conflict between Israel and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon that flared months ago after the start of U.S. and ⁠Israeli attacks ​on Iran. The State Department will pay ⁠up to $10 million for information leading to the disruption of the financial mechanisms of the militant group, spokesperson Tommy Pigott said.

"This is only the beginning. Anyone still shielding or collaborating with this terrorist ⁠organization, or otherwise undermining Lebanon's sovereignty, should understand that they will be held accountable," Pigott said in a statement. "A stable, secure, and independent Lebanon requires the full disarmament of ​Hezbollah and the restoration of the Lebanese government's exclusive authority over security matters throughout the country."

Treasury said the people sanctioned on Thursday were: - ⁠Mohamed Abdel-Mottaleb Fanich, who leads Hezbollah's executive council.

- Hassan Nizammeddine Fadlallah, a Hezbollah member of the Lebanese parliament since 2005, who worked with Al Nour Radio and Al Manar TV, both of which ⁠have ​been sanctioned by the U.S. - Ibrahim al-Moussawi, who heads Hezbollah's media committee and represents the group in parliament.

- Hussein Al-Hajj Hassan, who has represented Hezbollah as a member of the Lebanese parliament since 1996. - Mohammad Reza Sheibani, the Iranian ambassador designate to Lebanon, whom Lebanon's Foreign Ministry declared ⁠persona non grata after it withdrew its approval of his candidature and ordered him to leave Beirut.

- Ahmad Asaad Baalbaki and Ali Ahmad Safawi, both ⁠security officials of the Amal Movement, a ⁠political ally and security partner of Hezbollah. Safawi is the commander of the Lebanese Amal militia in southern Lebanon and led its forces in joint Hizballah-Amal military operations against Israel. - Brigadier General Khattar Nasser Eldin, head of the Lebanese ‌General Directorate for General ‌Security, for sharing intelligence with Hezbollah.

- Colonel Samir Hamadi, a senior Lebanese intelligence official. (Reporting ​by Andrea Shalal Editing by Rod Nickel)

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback