Indictment of former Cuban president includes 5 fighter jet pilots involved in 1996 plane downings

Perez-Perez requested authorisation to shoot down the civilian aircraft some 20 minutes later.While Perez-Perez attacked the two planes, according to the indictment, Gual Barzaga and Simanca Cardenas sat together in a third fighter jet, and Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez was in a fourth one ready to deploy.


PTI | Mexicocity | Updated: 22-05-2026 00:49 IST | Created: 22-05-2026 00:49 IST
Indictment of former Cuban president includes 5 fighter jet pilots involved in 1996 plane downings

Federal authorities in the United States have charged former Cuban President Raul Castro and five fighter pilots in the 1996 downing of small civilian planes operated by Miami-based exiles.

The indictment announced Wednesday emerged as the Trump administration continues its pressure campaign to topple the island's socialist government.

The charges accuse Castro and the military pilots of conspiring to terrorise, intimidate and retaliate against Cubans and the country's exile community by shooting down the aircraft flown by the Brothers to the Rescue group.

Castro, now 94, was defence minister when MiG fighters targeted the group's planes.

Authorities allege that Castro's five co-conspirators, all part of the Cuban Revolutionary Air and Air Defence Force, engaged in training missions around February 1996 ''to find, track, pursue and intercept'' aircraft off the Cuban coast in anticipation of flights by Brothers to the Rescue.

The indictment states that they underwent training at Castro's ''command and with direction from'' a co-conspirator who was not indicted.

Here is what is known about the five pilots, who were identified as Lt. Col. Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez, Jose Fidel Gual Barzaga, Lt. Col. Luis Raul Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez, Emilio Jose Palacio Blanco and Raul Simanca Cardenas.

Lt. Col. Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez.

------------------------------------------.

The indictment alleges that Perez-Perez and a pilot who was not charged shot down two planes on February 24, 1996, in international airspace, killing four Americans.

Perez-Perez told Cuban state television days after the shooting that he intercepted the first aircraft and warned it based on orders from controllers. He said the plane ignored his warnings.

''We tried to dissuade their crew members, but they continued to dangerously approach the Cuban coast, and then we received the order to interrupt the flight of the first aircraft,'' Perez-Perez said at the time.

''Afterward, we conducted the same operation with the second plane, which also refused to change its direction.''.

Castro is accused in the indictment of authorising the use of deadly force after Brothers to the Rescue flew planes that dropped pro-democracy leaflets over Cuba in January 1996.

US prosecutors said Castro and his older brother, Fidel Castro, who was president at the time, were the final decision-makers on orders to kill.

Perez-Perez was previously indicted in the US in August 2003 and accused of murder, aircraft destruction and conspiracy.

Lt. Col. Luis Raul Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez.

--------------------------------------------------.

The indictment alleges that on the same day of the deadly attacks, Gual Barzaga, Simanca Cardenas and Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez followed but did not destroy a third plane.

Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez, 65, is the only defendant in US custody. He was indicted in November for allegedly making false statements in an immigration document.

The US Department of Justice at the time said that he falsely stated he never received any weapons or military training, never participated in any group that used weapons or threatened to use weapons, and never served in a military or police unit.

In reality, prosecutors said, ''he received such training and served in the Cuban military as part of the Air Defence Force.''.

He is scheduled to be sentenced later this month after pleading guilty in February.

The five pilots and Castro face one count of conspiracy to kill US nationals. Castro and Perez-Perez were also indicted on counts of murder and destruction of aircraft.

Three other pilots.

----------------------.

Little is known about Gual Barzaga, Palacio Blanco and Simanca Cardenas.

The indictment alleges that Perez-Perez and Palacio Blanco took off from the San Antonio de los Banos airfield, near Havana, in separate jets. Perez-Perez requested authorisation to shoot down the civilian aircraft some 20 minutes later.

While Perez-Perez attacked the two planes, according to the indictment, Gual Barzaga and Simanca Cardenas sat together in a third fighter jet, and Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez was in a fourth one ready to deploy. Authorities allege the waiting pilots listened to Perez-Perez's radio requests for authorisation to attack the planes, and they eventually joined him in the pursuit of the third civilian aircraft.

The federal indictment includes an undated photo of Gonzalez-Pardo Rodriguez and Perez-Perez looking at a document next to a fighter jet.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback