Two booked for spreading provocative info on social media about demolition drive in Mumbai
The Mumbai police have registered a case against two individuals for allegedly spreading fake information on social media to disrupt public peace and incite communal tension.
- Country:
- India
The Mumbai police have registered a case against two persons for allegedly spreading fake and provocative information on social media related to a demolition drive in the city's Bandra East area, officials said on Saturday.
According to the official, the Cyber Police Station (Western Region) initiated the action against the duo after authorities flagged a highly misleading post circulating on X on Thursday.
A user had published a completely false and baseless post on the platform regarding an eviction and demolition operation carried out by the authorities in Bandra East, he said.
The person intentionally used social media to disseminate fabricated claims with the malicious intent to disrupt public peace, instil fear among citizens, and deliberately incite communal tension to disturb social harmony, the official said.
A case has been registered under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita against the X user, as well as the individual responsible for recording and circulating the video clip accompanying the post, he said.
The Western Railway on Saturday completed its drive undertaken to raze unauthorised structures at Garib Nagar near the railway station in Bandra East.
The drive was peaceful, except on Wednesday, when there were incidents of stone-pelting triggered by the demolition of a place of worship, leaving 10 persons, including policemen, injured.
Meanwhile, the city police have issued an advisory warning citizens against the misuse of digital platforms.
''Spreading false, fabricated, and baseless information is a punishable offence under the law. Strict legal action will be initiated against anyone attempting to compromise law and order by circulating such misleading content through social media or any other communication mediums,'' the advisory stated.
Police have appealed to citizens to exercise caution while using social media, urging them not to share, forward, or publish unverified content, and to ensure that online activities do not hurt the religious sentiments of any community.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
ALSO READ
Police halt demolition drive in Jammu briefly to retrieve national flag
All illegal structures razed at Garib Nagar near Bandra station, says WR
Around 85 pc illegal structures demolished at Garib Nagar near Bandra station, says WR
'Misuse of court's process': HC dismisses MLA Khaira’s contempt plea over demolition, imposes Rs 6 lakh cost
Bandra demolition drive violence: 16 held so far; cops acted only after coming under attack, says CM

