Tennis-Ukraine's Kostyuk keeps focus in Paris after missile strike near parents' home

Ukraine's Marta ​Kostyuk made short work ​of Oksana Selekhmeteva with ‌a 6-2 ​6-3 win in the first round of the French Open on Sunday and ‌said she was proud of how she remained focused even as the effects of the war in her country hit closer to ‌home. The 23-year-old Rouen and Madrid champion extended her winning ‌streak on clay this season to 12 matches but said the result was overshadowed by news of a missile strike near her parents' home in ⁠Ukraine ​earlier on Sunday.


Reuters | Updated: 24-05-2026 16:57 IST | Created: 24-05-2026 16:57 IST
Tennis-Ukraine's Kostyuk keeps focus in Paris after missile strike near parents' home

Ukraine's Marta ​Kostyuk made short work ​of Oksana Selekhmeteva with ‌a 6-2 ​6-3 win in the first round of the French Open on Sunday and ‌said she was proud of how she remained focused even as the effects of the war in her country hit closer to ‌home.

The 23-year-old Rouen and Madrid champion extended her winning ‌streak on clay this season to 12 matches but said the result was overshadowed by news of a missile strike near her parents' home in ⁠Ukraine ​earlier on Sunday. "I'm ⁠incredibly proud of myself today," an emotional Kostyuk said during her on-court ⁠interview.

"I think it was one of the most difficult matches of my ​career. This morning, 100 metres away from my parents' ⁠house, a missile destroyed a building. It was a very difficult morning for ⁠me. "I ​didn't know how this match would turn out. I didn't know how I'd handle it."

Kostyuk has been among the ⁠most vocal opponents of the war after Russia's invasion of Ukraine ⁠in 2022. The ⁠15th seed's opponent Selekhmeteva was born in Russia but switched allegiance to Spain ahead of Roland ‌Garros.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback