Transporter union announces three-day strike in Delhi-NCR from May 21

The All India Motor Transport Congress has announced a three-day strike in Delhi-NCR from May 21-23 against a hike in environment compensation cess on commercial vehicles.


PTI | New Delhi | Updated: 19-05-2026 17:06 IST | Created: 19-05-2026 17:06 IST
Transporter union announces three-day strike in Delhi-NCR from May 21
  • Country:
  • India

The All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) has announced a three-day strike in the Delhi-NCR region from May 21 to May 23 against the Delhi government's decision to hike the environment compensation cess on commercial vehicles.

The AIMTC, the apex body of truckers, private buses, taxi and maxi cab operators, held a meeting on Tuesday in Delhi where issues related to the cess hike were raised.

''More than 68 transport associations and unions across Delhi NCR have come together under the banner of AIMTC and have decided to suspend their transport operations for three days from May 21 to May 23 in Delhi-NCR against the unjust and unfair policies imposed by the Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM), courts and the Delhi government on the transport sector,'' a statement said.

The union has put forward a list of demands, including the withdrawal of the hike in cess imposed on all Delhi-bound goods vehicles, immediate rollback of the proposed ban on entry of non-Delhi registered BS-IV commercial goods vehicles from November 1, 2026, and restricting the cess only to those vehicles passing through Delhi.

''The CAQM and the Delhi government have indiscriminately imposed the cess hike on all Delhi-bound goods vehicles, rather than deterring transit vehicles using Delhi as a corridor in line with the original intent of the Supreme Court order and to divert them to the Eastern and Western Peripheral Expressways,'' it added.

The transporters' union further said that ''these measures have caused serious socioeconomic consequences'', severely impacting the transport sector and the livelihoods of operators.

In April, Chief Minister Rekha Gupta announced a ban on the entry of all interstate BS-IV commercial goods vehicles from November 1 as part of the pollution mitigation plan, while exempting CNG-powered, electric, and BS-VI compliant vehicles.

Opposing this move, the union sought immediate withdrawal, saying, ''This decision lacks scientific basis and legal rationale as it ignores the legally permitted operational lifespan of such vehicles.''.

The union leaders have demanded an exemption from the cess for vehicles carrying essential commodities and empty vehicles entering Delhi for loading, which was earlier allowed in the public interest.

Last month, the Delhi government had notified an increase in cess on commercial vehicles entering the national capital to curb vehicular pollution.

On Monday, the 'Chaalak Shakti Union', a union of commercial vehicle drivers, had also announced a three-day strike in the Delhi-NCR region due to rising costs of CNG, petrol and diesel.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback