UPDATE 1-Nestle and Danone face fresh scrutiny over infant formula recalls

Nestle and Danone are ​facing fresh scrutiny over the handling of infant formula ​contamination after reports published on Tuesday ‌by French, ​Belgian and Swiss public media questioned the speed of recalls of potentially harmful products. The investigation by Radio France, RTBF and RTS said Nestle had delayed alerting European authorities ‌about the presence of cereulide, a toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and poses particular risks for infants.


Reuters | Updated: 19-05-2026 22:05 IST | Created: 19-05-2026 22:05 IST
UPDATE 1-Nestle and Danone face fresh scrutiny over infant formula recalls

Nestle and Danone are ​facing fresh scrutiny over the handling of infant formula ​contamination after reports published on Tuesday ‌by French, ​Belgian and Swiss public media questioned the speed of recalls of potentially harmful products.

The investigation by Radio France, RTBF and RTS said Nestle had delayed alerting European authorities ‌about the presence of cereulide, a toxin that can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and poses particular risks for infants. The toxin was detected in an ingredient supplied by China's CABIO Biotech and used by several infant formula makers, including Nestle, Danone and Lactalis. ‌The contamination triggered infant formula recalls in several countries and fueled concerns among parents.

A Nestle spokesperson said the investigative ‌reports contained "inaccurate and misleading information", stressing that the company acted with full transparency and cooperated with the authorities from "day one". The investigation quoted Nestle as saying it had followed a strict process involving assessment, traceability checks and identification of affected products before public recalls were launched.

Danone did not immediately reply to ⁠a ​request for comment. Nestle had previously ⁠said it first detected low cereulide levels in product samples in late November but stopped using all mixes containing the supplier's arachidonic acid oil ⁠after contamination was confirmed on December 24.

It notified the supplier on December 29 and analysed samples until January 3 to determine the ​issue's scope, before launching public recalls from January 5. Radio France said 838,000 cans of infant formula were held back ⁠from December 26 at Nestle's factory in northern France and other production sites.

It said products already on the market remained in distribution channels or ⁠consumers' ​homes without an official recall or immediate notification to European authorities, despite rules requiring prompt reporting when a health risk is identified. The media outlets also said Nestle carried out "silent" withdrawals in Austria and Germany from December 24, while Danone products ⁠were withdrawn from sale in January before public recalls were issued.

Nestle strongly contested that allegation. Prosecutors in the French cities ⁠of Bordeaux and Angers have ruled ⁠out a link between the deaths of two infants and recalled formula products. A third death was still being investigated. Another investigation opened in Meaux was transferred to Paris, Radio ‌France said.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback