UPDATE 1-Colombia's ELN rebels call three-day ceasefire for presidential election
• The ceasefire will run from midnight on May 30 to midnight on June 2, the ELN added. • Colombia's government suspended peace talks with the rebel group last year following a string of ELN attacks in the country.
Rebels from Colombia's National Liberation Army (ELN) said on Wednesday that they will hold a three-day unilateral ceasefire for the first round of the presidential election.
The ceasefire aims to respect Colombians' right to vote, ELN said in a statement, as voters will head to the polls on May 31 to elect the next president, who will serve from 2026 to 2030. • The ceasefire will run from midnight on May 30 to midnight on June 2, the ELN added.
• Colombia's government suspended peace talks with the rebel group last year following a string of ELN attacks in the country. • The three main presidential candidates are Ivan Cepeda of Petro's leftist Historic Pact coalition and two conservative rivals - Paloma Valencia of the Democratic Center and independent businessman Abelardo De la Espriella.
• A recent Invamer poll showed Cepeda garnering 44.3% of voting intention, with De la Espriella at 21.5% and Valencia at 19.8%. • Incumbent Gustavo Petro is constitutionally barred from seeking a second term.
• If no candidate wins more than 50% of valid votes, a runoff will take place on June 21. • There was no immediate response from the government to the ceasefire announcement.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

