Three juveniles apprehended for running extortion racket in northwest Delhi
Delhi Police arrested three men and apprehended three juveniles for allegedly running an extortion racket and demanding weekly payments from an e-rickshaw parking owner in Jahangir Puri.
- Country:
- India
The Delhi Police has arrested three men and apprehended three juveniles for allegedly running an extortion racket and demanding weekly 'hafta' from an e-rickshaw parking owner in Jahangir Puri here, an official said on Saturday.
The accused were identified as Prince alias Sanju (28), Rishabh alias Suri (22), Khema alias Girish (22), all residents of Jahangir Puri and three juveniles.
Police said three adult accused are habitual offenders and have previously been involved in five criminal cases collectively.
The incident occurred in the early hours of May 20 when Riyazuddin (43), who operates an e-rickshaw parking facility in Jahangir Puri's Dhobi Ghat area in northwest Delhi, was allegedly threatened and attacked by the accused.
Police said the group arrived at the parking lot armed with a pistol and knives and allegedly demanded weekly extortion money. When the victim resisted, the accused allegedly attacked him, causing knife injuries to his hand, and threatened him with dire consequences.
The group also allegedly vandalised several parked e-rickshaws by smashing their front windshields, creating panic in the area, police said.
The Jahangir Puri police station registered an FIR under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Arms Act, and an investigation is underway.
Police conducted raids and apprehended all six accused, including the three juveniles, within hours of the incident.
During interrogation, the accused allegedly admitted they were trying to establish dominance in the locality and had been targeting e-rickshaw operators and parking owners for extortion, police said.
Two knives allegedly used during the crime were recovered from the accused, police said.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
ALSO READ
UPDATE 1-Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases, bringing total to five
Over 12,000 lost mobile phones traced, returned to owners in Punjab last year: Police
Senior police officers modified report on 2023 attack on Youth Cong workers: Alappuzha MLA
Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases, bringing total to five
President on three-day visit to Sikkim from May 26

